Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Heart Rocks at Cradle






Heart rocks are everywhere! Hiking around the seashore, up mountains, or along the roadside, you can find heart shaped treasures of many colors, sizes, and textures. Once you start looking, you will be surprised with your finds.
Often I pocket them just to enjoy them at home. Sometimes I choose one especially for a friend.
I remember one summer hike up Mt. Katahdin in Maine. Jim and I and the whole family including my Donovan clan were scrambling up Pamola Peak. My dad was alongside me as I spotted a large beauty right in the middle of the trail. It seemed to be saying; "Pick me up. I am here for you." and I said to may dad;
"Oh, I want to take this beautiful rock home with me. I think it is too heavy for me. Maybe Jim will carry it for me."
This one was larger than my usual collection. Dad looked at this fist size granite piece admiring the curves and colors with me. Dad always like to pause along the trail inspecting the detail of rocks, plants, animal scat and other important detail. He cautioned me,
"Lea, no, don't ask Jim to carry it."
"Why, dad?" I queried.
"Because I know he will carry it for you. You are lucky that Jim is so good to you, but spare him this." We laughed together.
"Dad, you are right." I saw his point and agreed.
We took a picture of the rock in its happy place. Looking ahead to Jim and the others nearing the summit of Pamola Peak, we kept on moving up the mountain.
As I think back on this scene, I wonder if dad was happier that I left the rock , or that I took his advice on the matter. Interesting.
That's what hiking with dad does for me - gives me time to ponder important questions about what makes people happier and which heart rocks need to remain in their natural surroundings.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly 'Butterfly Wings' said...

Lea,

What a special collection of heart rock images. Thanks for sharing this story. It's true, once you find one...wherever you look one (or two or three...) will eventually turn up! I like to think that when I decide to leave a heart rock instead of taking it, that someone else needs to discover it and receive the joy of discovery.

Hope you'll stop by my blog, The Heart Rock Collective ~ www.heartrocks.blogspot.com. Your story will add to a growing collective of heart rock lovers.

Blessings,
Kimberly

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home